It is such a pleasure to be able to write after 2 months getting busy with the task and case given since most of the audit firms are having peak period currently. Alhamdulillah, I have just attended one amazing event namely Accountancy Expo that was held in Sunway College and organised by Yayasan Peneraju Pendidikan Bumiputera.
Before I am going to explain further about the fantastic event, it's better for you to understand how this Yayasan functions.
Yayasan Peneraju Pendidikan Bumiputera is an initiative under the 'Hala Tuju Ekonomi Bumiputera' launched through TERAJU under the Economic Planning Unit, Prime Minister's Office that focuses on the strengthening of Bumiputera's capacity building. The objectives include increasing the quality, quantity and relevance of Bumiputera talents in line with the Government's effort to lead Malaysia to a high income nation status through academic and vocational education. Yayasan Peneraju Pendidikan Bumiputera's task is to ensure that the capabilities and expertise of the Bumiputera will continue to develop competitively at the global level through quality education.In short word, Yayasan Peneraju Pendidikan Bumiputera is focusing on helping the bumiputera to up-skill their talents by giving scholarship for the professional certificates to the interested bumiputera.
Wait a second !!! I am sure you are getting puzzle and this kind of question come into your mind "Why on earth should you take the professional certificates? "
I tell you what, currently holding degree in accounting is not enough. We already have thousands of accounting graduates every year. Not to mention graduates from overseas. So, what makes you different ? . This is where professional certificates come in, it serves as added value for you and makes you different, distinct and unique from other candidates. This is what the most of the employers are seeking right now.
But i have to inform you upfront, taking the professional certificate is difficult. It's much way different from sitting examination back in university. People just don't give you a damn question like how much your CGPA, instead they will ask you 'did you pass the papers'? Focus on the word 'PASS', but if you are able to go beyond than just 'PASS', then go ahead ! I would be delighted to do the same.
Yes, it is difficult, but it is not impossible. Just have a look around you, those who are the successful people were used to be charted accountants and having professional certificates.
1. Dato' Seri Abdul Wahid Omar - former Chief Executive Officer for Malayan Banking Berhad (Maybank) who is recently appointed as Minister in the Prime Minister's Department in charge of Financial Affairs. Prior to his ministerial appointment, Abdul Wahid served as the CEO of Maybank. After the Malaysia's General Election 2013, he was appointed as one of the Ministers in the Prime Ministers department as he was appointed as a senator by the Prime Minister.
He serves as a Member of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), United Kingdom and the Malaysian Institute of Accountants.
2. Tan Sri Anthony Francis "Tony" Fernandes, CBE is a Malaysian-British entrepreneur. He is the founder of Tune AirSdn. Bhd., who introduced the first budget no-frills airline, AirAsia, to Malaysians with the tagline "Now everyone can fly". Fernandes managed to turn AirAsia, a failing government-linked commercial airline, into a highly successful budget airline public-listed company. He has since founded the Tune Group of companies.
Tony was admitted as Associate Member of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) in 1991 and became Fellow Member in 1996. He is currently a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW).
To name the successful person is just a few, you can go dig in for your self by using the various sources. By the way, back to our business, let me explain the difference between professional accountants with chartered accountants.
Chartered Accountant : If you are having relevant working experience for at least 3 years in the field of taxation, audit or finance - you can apply becoming member of MIA and be a chartered accountant. You can officially put CA after your name.
For instances - Nurul Athirah Mohd Sobri, CA. [THIS IS MARKETABLE]
Professional Accountant : Accountant who manage to complete the professional certs ( i.e ACCA, ICAEW, MICPA or CPA Australia) and are having 3 years working experience and more.
For instances - Nurul Athirah Mohd Sobri, CA, ICAEW [THIS IS MUCH MORE MARKETABLE]
Which one is desirable? Which one is more demanded ?
Answer : I know you understand. So, you answer it okay? :)
So let move on to how can you getting the fund for the professional certificates since the fees, examination, classes quite expensive. Below are the options or paths that you can take to bring you to your destination and what you want to be :
1. Use your saving. Working while study part time. But i find this method is not very practical since it's quite expensive and getting financial aids are much more helpful, unless you are a daughter of a rich man. No offense, seriously.
2. Working with a firm that offer the scholarship for the professional certificates. As far as I am concerned, all the big 5 namely Pricewaterhousecoopers, Ernst & Young, Deloitte, KPMG and BDO are sponsoring for the professional certs like ACCA, ICAEW, MICPA and CPA (Australia). I am also noted that medium audit firm like KHR and AFTAAS are also sponsoring their employees to up-skill their talent by taken the professional certs. But you have to understand, nothing is free in this world. There must be give and take and as the firms are sponsoring you, you will have to get bonded with the firm for 3 to 4 years depend on the contract and agreement with the firm.
3. Good news for the BUMIPUTERAs !! Currently, Yayasan Peneraju Pendidikan Bumiputera is seeking for 200 bumiputera candidates that are interested in pursuing professional certs, Yayasan is offering you a SCHOLARSHIP !! Well, actually it's kind of loan where you have to payback 20% of the total fees of classes and examination. But, if you are able to succeed and pass all papers in just one sitting, they could consider to transform your loan into full sponsorship. All you need to do is burn the desire, boost your motivation up and work hard for the better future.
Currently, there are two offers by Yayasan at the moment. I will explain to you each of the program thoroughly so you can see the whole pictures, okay ? :)
i - Peneraju Professional - Pensijilan Perakaunan (PPPP)
|see the tab 'application opens'? click there, fill the form online if you are interested.|
what you have to understand about PPPP is :
1. It is designed for those who interested to sit for the professional certs but still want to remain working at the current company.
2. You can choose any professional certs that caught your attention and interest whether ACCA, ICAEW, MICPA or CPA (Australia).
What differences between those certs? (I guess you should do the research by your own because if i am going to write it, it would be another post). But one thing for sure, those professional certs will give you an added value and for the better future =)
3. Yayasan will give you sponsorship but it's not that easy. You have to fill the online application, go through interview and some assessment and then you can be one of the scholars. Sounds quite different but it's worth trying huh?
4. The application closing date for PPPP is 31 May 2014.
the deal with PPA is :
1. It is a very good start for the freshie to get into this kind of program. The big difference between PPPP with PPA is by choosing PPA, you have to resign from your company if you are working. You will have 2 months bridging program in Sunway College that prepares you to enter the real world.
2. The best thing is you will get the placement in BIG 5. Which one, i don't know, but you can inform them during the interview about your preference of the audit firms. As for me, they just the same but being able to work in big 5 will turns you into a shining star that most of the employer are seeking to.
3. You will be bonded with big 5 for four years and during that period, you have to complete your professional certs part time. The fact that you have to understand is you have to work on weekdays and spend your weekends attending the classes.
4. Under PPA, you will have a team. You will get a mentor. They also will be part of your support system where you could share your feeling and how to cope with work life pressure and studying at the same time. So, you just get to learn and know that you are not alone facing the problems since you got friends that face the same prob as you do. Just embrace it and move on !
5. How can I put this into word? Being able to work for one of the Big 5, completing the professional certificates, being able to be professional accountant, sitting the professional certs by using scholarship by Yayasan, where else can you find this opportunity? . Note to remember, there are only 8% of professional accountant of bumiputera and you can find it is very scarce for having bumiputera working for the BIG 5.
6. No pain no gain. Trust me, after you get yourself it brings you to another level, you can just achieve beyond your imagination and it is very rewarding.
7. The application closing date is 16 May 2014 (you just got few days left, dude!)
Lastly, i just want you not to narrow your vision that sitting for professional certs would only turn you to be an accountant or auditor that stuck with piles of working papers. You always have options for what do you want to do with your life and as professional certs holder - you can have 3 choices for your pathways.
1. Specialist . (Accountant, Auditor, CFO)
2. Management. (CEO, COO)
So, to keep updated with Yayasan Peneraju Pendidikan Bumiputera info and offers,
like their Facebook
visit their Homepage to fill up the online application if you are interested to be part of PPPP or PPA
Be focus, know what you want !!
Impossibility is never impossible
Run the Marathon !!
Hope you get something beneficial from this post since my writing skill is kind of rusty due to long gap of updating My Crystal. Sorry for that. My bad.
That's all from me. Enough said.
Hands down. Keep smiling. Stay cool and be the best !
Till we meet again
May Allah Bless You.
-1113 : 100514 -